The 2015 Health Care Investors Summit, co-hosted by Foley and Deloitte & Touche, LLP, was held on September 24. This program examined convergence in health care and the effects on investing, mergers and acquisitions, provider consolidation, partnerships, collaborations and related regulatory developments.
A robust discussion occurred between the keynotes as well as the panelists. Some key takeaways from those discussions are:
- The current landscape of the health care industry needs collaboration across the entire care continuum.
- Investment trends, associated opportunities and deal structures are being driven by market incentives and the implementation of the Affordable Care Act.
- Convergence within the hospital and health plan sectors has presented strategic and operational challenges for hospitals and plans and has led to increased uniting of these institutions.
- The industry trends related to acquisitions and mergers in the health care environment are still on the rise.
When dealing with the current challenges facing the market, consideration should be given to the wide array of legal issues arising from private equity investment, including considerations surrounding the structuring, negotiating, and executing of acquisitions, capital and growth financings, and dispositions of investments through sales, public offerings, and recapitalizations.
Speakers at the program included:
- Opening Keynote, Mike Weissel, Executive Vice President and Chief Executive Officer of Consumer Solutions Group, Optum
- Closing Keynote, Thomas M. Moriarty, Executive Vice President, Chief Health Strategy Officer and General Counsel, CVS Health
- Derek Abruzzese, Chief Strategy Officer, Tufts Health Plan
- Scott Barry, Managing Director, Essex Woodlands
- Christopher J. Donovan, Partner, Health Care Industry Team, Foley & Lardner LLP
- Max Lin, Director, Private Equity, Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co.
- Bryan Martin, Partner, Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Ollie McCoy, Principal, Life Sciences & Health Care, Deloitte & Touche LLP
- Stephen Phenneger, Operating Partner, Cressey & Company
- Mike Uchrin, Chief Executive Officer, Health Choice (a subsidiary of IASIS Healthcare)
- J. Mark Waxman, Partner, Health Care Industry Team, Foley & Lardner LLP
Though the room recognized various challenges facing the health care industry they are optimistic that those challenges will present opportunities for growth, innovation and collaboration.
For more information about upcoming Foley programs, please visit our website.